The saga of the Bijou Theatre began just after the American Revolution when General James White received a grant of 110 acres for his services in the American military. The lot where the present-day Bijou Theatre now stands was included in the parcel. In 1801, Thomas Humes purchased this lot on the corner of present day Gay Street and Cumberland Avenue from General White.
In 1815 Humes began constructing a hotel and tavern, which was to be named the �Thomas Humes House.� Humes unfortunately died in September 1816 shortly before the construction was completed. The building was finally completed in the July of 1817. It was described as a "large and elegant building of three stories and fifteen rooms" and its first occupant was a man named Archibald Rhea. #BijouTheatre #Knoxville
May 7th, 2013
Viewed 3,238 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 09/24/2023 at 9:24 AM